Description. It is located on Calle Ángel de Saavedra in a building that is an outstanding example of Cordoba's civil architecture during the Renaissance, it was the residence of Rodrigo Méndez de Sotomayor.
Its plateresque façade, related to the style of Hernán Ruiz II, is dominated by a window with balustraded columns, decoration with mythological themes and the coats of arms of the family.
It is one of the oldest Conservatories in Spain, created in 1902 by the Provincial Council from the Music section of the Provincial School of Fine Arts. Its first director was the musician Cipriano Martínez Rücker. In 1922 the State gives official validity to the teachings taught in the center, becoming the third Conservatory in the country that achieved it.
The center continued with the name of Official Conservatory of Music until 1942, date in which the Ministry of National Education grants it the category of Professional Conservatory, which allows it to grant the maximum qualifications provided for in the legislation. It was in 1972 when the Conservatory reached its current status as the Higher Conservatory of Music, a privilege shared only then by five centers throughout Spain.