Situation. Between the Cuesta del Bailío and Conde de Torres Cabrera street.
Neighborhood. San Miguel-Capuchinos
Chronology. It opens in the seventeenth century.
Description. The popular Plaza de Capuchinos is overwhelmed by the sobriety of its design. The austere immaculate walls are interrupted by the stone portals of the Santo Ángel convent. In the center of the square rises one of the most singular images of Cordoba: The Christ of the Lanterns. The whiteness of the walls that surround it startles the dramatic effect of this crucified baroque. The four iron lanterns that accompany it have shaped the name of the sculpture.
This square was built on some houses that the Almunia family owned in the place in the year 1689, although it was part of the convent of Capuchinos. It was disentailed in the nineteenth century because it was an area of passage between two popular neighborhoods of Cordoba. The original cobblestone of that time was replaced by Antonio Cruz Conde in the 1950s. Recently the access of cars to the square has been restricted by means of a bollard at the entrance from Calle Conde de Torres Cabrera.
The Plaza de Capuchinos was one of the most outstanding in Córdoba for its candidacy for European City of Culture 2016. Proof of this are the events that took place in 2009 in it, such as the path of light that was created from the Cuesta from Bailío to the plaza. It was small tealights that formed a geometric pattern on the ground, delighting those who admired them. The tealights were arranged by a group of volunteers from the brotherhood of Dolores y la Paz.